Great Expectations

As you are reading this I am flying across the Atlantic to my destiny... Prince Harry.  Just kidding Mr. LP (love you).  Actually I am probably already in England but that means this is going to be a pictureless post.  Feel free to skip it.

There are tremendous advantages to stalking wedding blogs.  I never would have known that I need to have stripped straws at my cocktail hour or that a party is not a party without a photobooth.  But right now I feel a little sad about all my knowledge of other people's weddings.

Maybe sad is not the right word but I feel like I know too much about weddings.  Knowing all about weddings is great but that means that nothing really feels original anymore.  A while ago I decided that because Mr. LP and I had our first date in a book story then we should incorporate books as part of our centerpieces.  I thought I was so slick and creative.  Little did I know this very idea is all over the web.  Not so original. 

Normally I don't mind copying someone else's great idea.  Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery after all.  But this particular thing seems too overdone to even think about copying.  What I am rattling on about you ask?  Only my favorite poem of all time.... i carry your heart by e.e. cummings.  While it brings tears to my eyes, this poem seems to be pseudonymous with weddings.  I would love to have it as a reading but I feel like even guests who don't stalk wedding blogs would recognize it as an overdone wedding reading.  I just don't want that moment in Wedding Crashers where Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn are betting on what the reading will be since it is so predictable.

Should I just go with it and use it since I love it, wedding overusage be damned?  If you were a guest at a wedding and they read this poem would you groan, roll your eyes and think not this again?

In case anyone is unfamiliar with the poem that makes my heart a flutter, here you go:

i carry your heart with me(i carry it in
my heart)i am never without it(anywhere
i go you go,my dear;and whatever is done
by only me is your doing,my darling)
 
i fear
no fate(for you are my fate,my sweet)i want
no world(for beautiful you are my world,my true)
and it's you are whatever a moon has always meant 
and whatever a sun will always sing is you

here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life;which grows
higher than soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart

i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart)
--e.e. cummings

4 comments:

  1. honestly, I've never heard that poem done at weddings before and maybe this is really sad...but I didn't know that poem either. I'd say go for it! Seriously, it's still very apropos and I don't think anyone will think "here we go again..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a big e.e. fan and I might be using that poem as well (sorry). I've never heard it at any other wedding I've been to, Besides most people aren't professional wedding guests so hopefully they'll be too caught up in the emotion and feeling of the day to think about all the other wedding readings they've ever heard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the poem. I've never heard it at a wedding. I understand what you mean about wedding blogland and reality. I try to remind myself that our guests haven't make weddings a full time job for the last year or so so all of it would be new to them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dont you worry about what's out on the blogosphere. Do what is right for you and LP - including a book center piece. It probably means more to you two than it does to half the couples who used it on the web. And in the long run, it won't matter.

    ReplyDelete